Why Natural Dry "shampoo"
I can't believe I waited 11 and 1/2 months before making and trying out dry shampoo! For some reason I was convinced it was too much hard work to find arrowroot powder and I had absolutely no idea it would make my hair look so good and so clean! What a shocker! Seriously my hair looked just so clean. I asked my husband "look at my hair, what do you think?" not telling him what I had done (used dry shampoo) he said "It just looks clean. Actually it looks really clean. What have you done?" And it's true, my hair looked so good! I now use it every week, to help my hair go an extra 2 to 3 days without washing it.
Arrowroot powder: where to find it? and what is it?
All it is is arrowroot powder. Which, funnily enough, I simply stumbled upon when buying bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) at my local supermarket. It was right next to it in the baking section of the shop. I had to buy it so I could finally try the dry shampoo as well as make my own make up. And I just thought of how silly I was because it was right there the whole time but I was just too lazy to think and search, and plus you can buy it online so easily too... So if you are no-poo and want to help you're hair go the extra 'mile' then get some arrowroot powder! I was also really surprised to find out that arrowroot powder is tapioca starch, so if you have tapioca starch then you have the correct ingredient.
So I took a little glass jar with a lid, and put a couple teaspoons of arrowroot powder and added some cocoa and all spice (I don't have anymore cinnamon) until I was happy with the colour. Remember you want the main ingredient to be arrowroot so don't drown it in cocoa.(I only made a little bit and it lasted ages plus you can always make some more later, I prefer small quantities so the stuff stays fresh,) If you have very dark or black hair you should also try this before thinking you can't get the right colour. I can't get the exact colour for my hair but once I've comber it though it 'disappears', so try it before finding an alternative.
Application of the dry shampoo
1) I start by combing my hair all the way through.
2) I make a parting on the far left of my head.
3) I take my brush, dip it in the pot, shake a bit off over the pot and then apply along the parting.
4) I make a parting about 5 cm up from the previous one and apply some more powder, then carry on separating my hair and applying the powder, until my roots are covered.
5)Then I comb through all my hair again.
6) Then I apply some powder along my hairline and comb again. If there's a bit much and it's visible on my forehead then I just rub it off with my fingers.
7) Hair should look awesome now but: If my hair was really oily and it doesn't look awesome yet I dab some on the rest of my hair and carry on combing through until it looks awesome all over.
8) Blush your face with it too! It's also a wonderful natural blush powder, so get rid of your chemical filled blush, and never spend a fortune on it again! Yummy cocoa smells all over hmmm... :)
ATTENTION: This will give volume to your hair and make it look GORGEOUS!
I hope you enjoyed this post and learned what you needed, please leave a comment with more information on how you do it, or some more tips - maybe for black hair? Or any questions you have. Cheers! Also if you want to know how I incorporate it into my no-poo routine, then check my 1 year no shampoo update!